The Redbone Hound, also known as the Redbone Coonhound, is a
treeing and trailing dog
used for hunting game such as
Redbone Hounds can be used as
water dogs. This dog
has been registered with the
UKC since 1904
America, hunters had a red hound that was used for treeing and hunting game
which they called Redbone. The ancestors of the Redbone Hound are thought to
have been Foxhounds
which were later crossed with the
Blood Hound by a
then well known Fox hunter and
George F.L. Birdsong in
Georgia,USA in the
1840s. Birdsong bought the pack
from Dr. Thomas Henry and began selective breeding to retain the original red
color and abilities that produced the modern day Redbone Hound.
No particular health issues are associated with the Redbone hound. It
requires daily walks for strength, stamina and weight control which helps to
maintain good health.
- Temperament: Good natured with a desire to please. Good with
children and other pets. Happiest when hunting and needs daily exercise.
- Color: Red preferred may have small white pattern on chest and
- Coat:Short fine textured
- Head: Broad in line with body proportions.
- Ears: Slightly low set fine in texture and reaching to tip of
- Eyes: Dark brown preferred.
- Body: Medium sized, Lean dog taller at shoulder level than hips.
Male height is from twenty two to twenty seven inches. Female height is from
twenty one to twenty five inches.
- Weight: Males and females 45-65 lbs
- Tail: Straight, medium length with brush texture.
- Legs: Straight in line with chest and muscular .
- Life Span: Relatively long at 12-15 years.
- Litter size: 10 pups with 6 -8 being the usual number.
Home | Up | Badger-Baiting | Bulldog Breeds | Dog Fighting | Hairless Dogs | Hounds | Rat-Baiting | Spaniel | Terrier Group | Mixed-Breed Dog | Dog Hybrids and Crossbreeds | Purebred | Crossbreed | Bichon | Bird Dog | Bulldog Breeds | Cocker Spaniel | Collie | Companion Dog | Coonhound | Cur | List of Dog Fighting Breeds | Eskimo Dog | Farm Collie | Fox Terrier | Foxhound | Gun Dog | Herding Dog | Hound | Hunting Dog | Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds | Lap Dog | Livestock Guardian Dog | Longdog | Lurcher | Mastiff | Munsterlander | Pariah Dog | Pastoral Dog | Pinscher | Pit Bull | Pointer | Poodle Hybrid | Redbone Hound | Retriever | Scentc Hound | Schnauzer | Setter | Sheep Dog | Sight Hound | Sled Dog | Spaniel | Spitz | Springer Spaniel | Terrier | Terrier Group | FCI Terrier Group | Terriers of Scotland | Toy Group | Toy Dog | Water Dog | Welsh Corgi | Working Dog
Dogs, made by MultiMedia | Free content and software
This guide is licensed under the GNU
Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia.